Distance courses are delivered within the time frame of a standard semester and must be completed in that time. In addition, students will need to make arrangements to complete any examinations required in the course. In order to be a successful distance student, you should consider the following:
- How comfortable are you with using technology such as computers, e-mail, and the Internet?
- Are you a self-directed, self-motivated, and self-disciplined student? It is important to keep to a schedule with distance courses.
- Do you like the face-to-face interaction of a traditional course or do you think you would be comfortable with other forms of interaction such as chat rooms, e-mail, or telephone calls?
- Do you have the time commitment to devote to a distance course? Distance classes require as much or more of your time than traditional classes.
- Are you willing to be an active participant and an advocate for your own education? You will need to work according to your own schedule and be willing to contact the instructor or other college personnel when you have questions.
- Does the college have current information about you? It is very important that the college have current contact information for you such as name, mailing address, phone number, cell number, and e-mail address.