Eastern Wyoming College is a comprehensive, public community college located in the Platte Valley of eastern Wyoming. The main campus is located in Torrington, Wyoming with a second campus located in Douglas, Wyoming. EWC is one of seven community colleges in the state of Wyoming, coordinated by the Wyoming Community College Commission. Students attend from all over the country but most come from Wyoming, Nebraska, Colorado, and South Dakota.
EWC is the only college in the state with programs in veterinary technology, cosmetology and gunsmithing. Welding and Agriculture are also key programs for the college followed by education and nursing.
|Goshen County Population:
|Converse County Population:
The main campus in Torrington covers approximately 73 acres with 24 buildings and additions. Construction was completed in summer 2017 on the Career and Technical Education Center (CTEC). This 69,000 square foot facility is home to premier programs in welding and joining technology, machine tooling, cosmetology and health sciences. Community education and workforce development is also be located in CTEC. This beautiful facility is located right at the main entrance to the college. Recent renovations include the Fine Arts lobby and an addition to Lancer Hall. Fundraising efforts are currently underway to construct the Agricultural Technology Education Center (ATEC).
The Douglas campus is housed in a new campus building which was built with funds from a successful special tax campaign in Converse County. A new Associate Degree in Nursing program began at the Douglas Campus in August 2016 with a class of 14 students. This was the first nursing program to open in Wyoming in nearly 30 years. Now all seven community colleges in the state offer a nursing program. Students enrolled at the Douglas Campus can choose from many course offerings in gunsmithing, science, math and more.
The EWC service area covers a six-county region throughout eastern Wyoming. Outreach centers are located in three towns in Crook County – Hulett, Moorcroft and Sundance; two towns in Weston County – Newcastle and Upton; one town in Niobrara County – Lusk; four towns in Platte County – Glendo, Guernsey, Chugwater and Wheatland. The campus in Douglas provides services to Glenrock which is also located in Converse County.
History of the College
Eastern Wyoming College was established in September, 1948 as the Southeast Regional University center, an extension of the University of Wyoming and a part of the Torrington School District. In June of 1956, the citizens of the Torrington Public School District voted to organize the Goshen County Community College District as an independent political subdivision of the state with its own board of control. The name of the College was changed to Eastern Wyoming Community College on December 20, 1968.