Hathaway Scholarship Information
The state of Wyoming established a generous scholarship program in the name of former Wyoming Governor Stan Hathaway that rewards eligible Wyoming-resident students with scholarship money to attend a Wyoming Community College or the University of Wyoming. The program provides merit and need-based awards to eligible students.
This webpage provides additional details including scholarship types, amounts, eligibility requirements, transfers and the application process.
Hathaway Initial Eligibility Requirements
• Initial Eligibility Requirements
• Calculate your Hathaway Scholarship eligibility!
Applying for Hathaway at EWC?
• Complete the Hathaway Scholarship Application to use for Fall and/or Spring semesters at EWC.
• If you would like to use the Hathaway Scholarship in the Summer, please complete the Summer Hathaway Scholarship Application
• Interested in the Hathaway Need-Based Award? Students qualifying for the merit portion of Hathaway Scholarships may qualify for additional funds. Students seeking a Need-Based Award must complete the Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA).
• Complete the Eastern Wyoming College Application for Admission
Award Amounts, Use, and Maintaining Eligibility Requirements
• Fall and Spring Semester Award Information
• Summer Semester Award Information
Lose Your Hathaway Scholarship?
Here’s some information to help you regain the scholarship. Please contact us if you have questions.
• Regaining Eligibility Requirements
Information about the steps you need to take to regain the scholarship
• Hathaway Reinstatement Request
For students who previously lost their scholarship, but have now met the requirements to regain the scholarship
• Maintaining Eligibility Appeal
Form to appeal the loss of your scholarship due to a specific, special, and well-documented circumstance
• Transferring to another Wyoming community college or to the University of Wyoming and would like to use your Hathaway? Complete the Hathaway Transfer Request.
• Hathaway Deferment Request
• Hathaway Extension Request – Return to our office, not the WDE
Questions about Hathaway Need?
How much money can I get?
Qualifying students may receive a percentage of their “unmet need” based on their eligible Hathaway scholarship level.
Provisional Opportunity – 25% of unmet need
Opportunity – 25% of unmet need
Performance – 25% of unmet need
Honors – 100% of unmet need
How is “Unmet Need” calculated?
Start with Eastern Wyoming College’s Cost of Attendance (COA) for the current academic year. The COA includes allowances for the cost of tuition, fees, books, room/board, transportation and personal/miscellaneous expenses.
PLEASE NOTE: If a student is not being paid at full-time status for Hathaway, the student’s Cost of Attendance will be prorated based off of the eligible Hathaway credit hours. Please contact the EWC Financial Aid Office if you have questions.
After you have determined the correct COA, subtract the following:
• Expected Family Contribution, if any (Determined by FAFSA)
• Hathaway Scholarship Merit Award Per Year
• Any other Grants and Scholarships Awarded to Student
Take the resulting amount and subtract $2,000 (this is the student commitment amount set by the Hathaway Scholarship Program – this is not something the student has to pay; it is just part of the calculation).
After subtracting the $2,000 student commitment, you will have the remaining amount of Unmet Need which you can then multiply by the need percentage approved for your Hathaway Level. This will be the amount of Hathaway Need for the year (Fall and Spring semester – Hathaway Need is not available for the Summer semester).
If you are only attending or are eligible to receive Hathaway for one semester, your award will be half of the amount calculated.